Thursday, December 1, 2011

First Thoughts on LSU

We'll see some of this Saturday (Image: Hipple)
Well, it's Thursday. I've avoided putting this in words for long enough:  I think we are going to beat LSU on Saturday.

I know, it looks crazy on paper. It sounds crazier when you say it out loud. Hell, the voices in my head say it is crazy. I still think that is what will happen. Why?

Paul hit on it earlier. We're going to hit that one time. LSU is more talented. LSU is better coached. LSU has played more tough opponents. LSU has more maturity. LSU has more All-(fill in the blank) players. LSU has faced more adversity. But there is one thing LSU hasn't faced since Alabama: A game with impact. For ten weeks, we have played with everything on the line.

Others have gotten into match ups, but the one I keep coming back to is our offensive line versus their defensive line. I think we'll see some new plays, plays designed to keep them honest on the rtn blitz and plays that will help freeze the LB blitz and hard press rush from Mingo and Montgomery. I think we will be the only SEC team to score more than one offensive TD on them. I think we'll do that by halftime. Long live the no-huddle slow down offense.

Make no mistake about this, though. Murray has to be on his game. He has to take the hits and keep on going. Also, Bobo has to call the game of his life, not be afraid of letting Murray exploit the one place we will be able to (the one on one coverage Mitchell, Bennett, Charles and/or King will be getting), and take whatever they give. I don't think we will win on a fluke, either. I think we win the same way we won several times. We play strong defense, especially against the rush, get just enough points to make them get out of their comfort zone offensively, then basically play keep away for a quarter.

Finally, I'll address the sky is falling voices in my brain later. I know we have to not fumble, not give up a fake punt for a TD, or throw the Honey Badger a ball in the flats. I just feel good, right now, about none of those things happening.

TD

No comments:

Post a Comment